Iran has asked the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for emergency funding to help it fight the coronavirus outbreak that has hit the country hard, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Thursday.

The escalating coronavirus outbreak in the Islamic Republic, the worst affected country in the Middle East, has killed 429 people and infected 10,075. It has damaged the country’s businesses and is bound to hit its non-oil exports after many neighboring countries and trade partners shut their borders.

The IMF managing director, Kristalina Georgieva, “has stated that countries affected by #COVID19 (coronavirus) will be supported via Rapid Financial Instrument (RFI). Our Central Bank requested access to this facility immediately”, Zarif said in a tweet.

Iranian Central Bank chief Abdolnaser Hemmati wrote on his Instagram page, “in a letter addressed to the head of IMF, I have requested five billion US dollars from the RFI emergency fund to help our fight against the coronavirus.”

Iran’s economy is already battered by U.S. sanctions that curb oil and gas exports crucial for government revenues. A slowdown in economic activity caused by the virus outbreak and a sustained closure of its borders are expected to lead to a contraction this year, analysts have said.

As Iran’s rulers struggle to contain the coronavirus outbreak, Tehran has blamed the U.S. and its “maximum pressure” policy for restricting Iran’s ability to respond effectively to the virus.

In a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Zarif repeated Iran’s demand for U.S. sanctions to be lifted, Iranian media reported.

U.S. officials have said that the sanctions do not target medicine for Iran and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on February 29 that the U.S. had offered to help Tehran face the outbreak.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson reportedly said that any US offer to help Iran in its fight against the coronavirus was “ridiculous.”

U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew the U.S. from a multilateral nuclear agreement with Iran in 2018 and reimposed sanctions on the country.

Bottom of Form

Bahrain accuses Iran of ‘biological aggression’

Bahrain accused Iran on Thursday of “biological aggression” by covering up the spread of the coronavirus and failing to stamp the passports of Bahraini travelers.

Many of the recorded infections throughout the Gulf region are linked to travel to Iran, which hosts several important shrines and pilgrimage sites for Shia Muslims.

“With this behavior, Iran has allowed the disease to travel abroad, and in my estimation this constitutes a form of biological aggression that is criminalized by international law, as it has put in danger our safety and health and that of others,” Bahraini Interior Minister General Sheikh Rashid bin Abdulla Al Khalifa said in comments on Twitter.

In an apparent response to Al Khalifa’s comments, Amir Abdollahian, special aide to Iran’s parliamentary speaker, tweeted: “America, which rules Bahrain through the presence of its Fifth Fleet, is a major cause of biological warfare and initially denied the existence of coronavirus.”

Saudi Arabia, which has a minority Shia population and had already made it a crime to travel to Iran, denounced its regional rival last week for granting Saudi citizens entry.

Bahrain, where Shias make up a majority of the population, has no such restrictions.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Abbas Mousavi has denied that not stamping passports has anything to do with coronavirus and called on Riyadh to avoid politicizing the epidemic.

Friday prayers forbidden for the affected

As the death toll continued to rise in Iran, Gulf Arab states took new steps to contain the virus, with Saudi Arabia’s highest religious authority saying anyone diagnosed with coronavirus was forbidden from attending Friday prayers.

Attendance is generally mandatory for able-bodied Muslim men, but Riyadh said those under quarantine, and those afraid of being infected or infecting others, need not attend.

No Gulf Arab state has reported a coronavirus death as of yet.

But Bahrain on Wednesday reported 77 new infections among citizens evacuated from Iran, and a second government-chartered repatriation flight was scheduled for Thursday.

Bahrain said non-compliance with isolation measures would be punishable by up to three months in jail and a fine of up to 10,000 Kuwaiti dinars ($32,000). Three people have already been reported to the public prosecutor.

Flight bans

Saudi Arabia, which has suspended the Umrah pilgrimage and locked down its eastern Qatif region where many infections are located, announced 24 new cases overnight for a total of 45.

Riyadh halted flights to the European Union and 12 other countries, extending an earlier ban and giving Saudi citizens and residents 72 hours to return.

The flight ban now includes many countries from where millions of migrant workers in Saudi Arabia hail.

Passenger traffic through all land crossings with Jordan was also suspended, though commercial and cargo traffic continued.

The Saudi health ministry asked people to avoid shaking hands and banned gatherings of more than 50.

Kuwait

Kuwait reported eight new infections, bringing its total to 80, and started a two-week public holiday declared to help contain the virus. Authorities closed the stock market on Thursday and banned all commercial passenger flights to and from Kuwait.

Oman

Oman suspended tourist visas from all countries and banned cruise ships from docking at its ports. The United Arab Emirates reported 11 new cases, taking its total to 85.

Dubai

Dubai’s Emirates airline said it was suspending flights to Italy until April 3, in addition to other routes in the United States, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. Sister carrier flydubai said it was suspending flights to Italy.

Qatar

Qatar on Wednesday announced 238 new cases among expatriates in a single compound after three residents tested positive for the virus on Sunday.


SIGN UP FOR COUNTERCURRENTS DAILY NEWS LETTER


 

Comments are closed.