Three Indian soldiers were killed during a “violent face-off” with Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control in eastern Ladakh.

The incident occurred during a “deescalation process” underway in the Galwan Valley in the disputed Aksai Chin-Ladakh area, where a large troop build up has reportedly been taking place for weeks now on both sides of the border, before senior military commanders began talks earlier this month.

According to the Indian army statement, there was loss of life “on both sides,” including an Indian officer and two Indian soldiers. The statement did not specify the number of additional Chinese casualties. It added that senior military officials from both sides are currently meeting to defuse the situation.

Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday held a meeting with senior Indian military officers, according to the Indian army. He “reviewed the current operational situation in Eastern Ladakh” with the Chief of Defense Staff, and the chiefs of the Army, Navy and Air Force, the army said. The country’s External Affairs Minister was also present.


SIGN UP FOR COUNTERCURRENTS DAILY NEWSLETTER


 

One Comment

  1. Avatar BHARATHWAJ says:

    Mr.Modi needs some introspection. This pressure from China is untimely. Beyond this border clash some other motive is sensed to heighten the cause. Are we obliging USA in their Nov election strategy?