HM has been reportedly readmitted to the hospital for post-COVID care (and continues to work from there). Even as the whole country is praying for his speedy recovery, Sarkari facts and statements issued ad infinitum should give him a reason to cheer viz:
- The recovery rate for COVID-19 has improved and reached 73.64 % because of ‘active intervention treatment strategies’.
- The mortality rate has decreased to 1.91%. This is apparently the lowest in the whole world.
- India has one of the lowest rate of death of elected representatives due to COVID-19. (Cf. Iran where about 2 dozen legislators had died.)
- India has the plasma therapy in place which can increase life span albeit for a few days.
- Indian Government has played a pioneering role by advocating HCQ and dispatching it to half the world as a curative cum preventive therapy.
- Anti-AIDS drugs have been given a green signal by the Drug Controller of India. Indian health authorities have stocked a huge amount.
- Over 50,000 ventilators are available in India right now; PM Cares Fund has contributed Rs. 2000 crore for this life saving gadget. Even as the wag says: ventilators not needed in mild, moderate cases; are useless in severe cases.
- India reached the figure of 50,000 deaths in the longest period of time i.e. in 156 days. (Cf. USA reached the figure in 23 days.)
- More and more people are testing positive but that is because testing has been ramped up due to the sustained campaign for improvement of health infrastructure.
- The number of laboratories testing for COVID-19 – both private and government – have reached a record 1400 plus. Courtesy: Union Government, State Governments & UT administrators.
- India has recorded the highest number of tests ever conducted in a day viz 9 lakhs in 24 hours.
- India has recorded the highest number of patients being discharged from the hospital viz 57381 in one single day.
- While India has third highest number of cases in the world it needs to be emphasized that this is only on account of its huge population.
- Even as the concerned governments are doing their best, the PM said in his ‘mann ki baat’, that some people are seen to be off their guards risking infection. Credit to governments; blame to ‘we the people’.
- The policy of WFH (work from home) includes WFH (work from hospital).
- COVID-19 Vaccine is around the corner; just as AIDS vaccine has been around the corner – for the last four decades!
Inanity of Sarkari statistics notwithstanding, rest assured, given India’s stellar role as a global leader in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic HM’s recovery is assured.
Shobha Aggarwal is a member of PIL Watch Group.