There are no breaking news at the moment

Articles by: Skand Priya

The Elephant in the Mud: Crisis of Identity Politics and BSP

The Elephant in the Mud: Crisis of Identity Politics and BSP

  The BSP, SP and RLD pre election alliance in UP was formed keeping in view the percentage numbers that these parties had secured in the previous general elections of 2014. The combined vote share of these parties was nearly 42 percent then and it was anticipated that they would be able to secure their shares in this election too[Read More…]

The Future of Higher Education in India in the Age of Crony Capitalism

The Future of Higher Education in India in the Age of Crony Capitalism

  Co-Written by Amit Kumar & Skand Priya Ever since the MHRD made its intentions clear to grant autonomous status to institutions of higher education as a result of which 60 institutions have already been granted autonomy including 5 central universities and 21 state universities, teachers’ movement at University of Delhi has become extremely charged and committed in its fight to[Read More…]

The ‘Political Buddha’ of Dalits in UP

The ‘Political Buddha’ of Dalits in UP

  Buddhism as a religion owes its origin to present day UP as ‘Buddha after attaining knowledge’ , he gave his first sermon at Sarnath, near Banaras. He and his pupils travelled widely in and around UP and Bihar, and propagated his ideas and philosophy before finally attaining Mahaparinirvan (death) at Kushinara (current Kushi Nagar, UP) in c483 BCE. Since[Read More…]

The Contradictory Bahujan of the BSP

The Contradictory Bahujan of the BSP

The BSP was formed in 1984 after a long span of preparatory activities by the All India Backward and Minorities Communities Employees Federation (BAMCEF) and the Dalit Shoshit Samaj Sangharsh Samiti (DS-4). Its founder Kanshiram used to say that the Indian society and politics is marked by the hegemony of 15% upper castes and they rule over the rest 85%[Read More…]